Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Capstone

So I'm supposed to create a capstone that is representative of all of the knowledge that I have gained in my college career. Sound like a loaded assignment? I thought so too. At this point I am still confused at how exactly I am going to combine the core requirements with my writing ambitions, but so far I have the following plans:

-To complete a full manuscript of poetry, and possibly a series of creative nonfiction essays. I am taking advanced poetry with Jim Ellefson right now. We are creating chapbooks, which is a half length manuscript. Next year I hope to continue working with Jim, as well another mentor Jim Mcginnes, to create a publishable full length book. Over the last couple of years I have realized that poetry is the form that comes most naturally to me, and the genre in which I have shown the most promising talent. I hope to continue my studies of Poetry in an MFA program after graduating from Champlain.

-To start up a creative writing/art and doodling after school program at a low income elementary school in town. I have been working at Lawrence Barnes Elementary school in Burlington through the America Reads program. I have very much enjoyed the time that I have spent there. Children have such a creative nature about them, and I think that writing would be a great outlet for some of that energy. I want to focus on low income school because those seem to be the schools that are in the most danger of being forced to cut creative programs.

2 comments:

  1. Either of these sound good to me--in fact, I don't see why you can't do both, and both would reinforce each other. Excellent plan, I'd say.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't sound to me like you want to do a creative non-fiction "essay" but rather poetry. The entire paragraph was about poetry, and not another word about the fiction so I think it's pretty clear that you should work on your poetry.

    ReplyDelete