Monday, March 8, 2010

Capstone continued

So, on to the next step: Implementing Core. I can think of many ways that the idea to start an afterschool writing workshop would be pertinent to the classwork that I have done for Core, but the most closely related class would probably be Human Rights. In this class we had countless discussions and debates on the universal rights of all human beings. What I decided, after a semester of depressing, yet inspiring readings, films, and research, was that every human has the right to just be. I believe whole heartedly in the "live and let live" philosophy. Of course there are many obstacles standing in the way of this right, and one of those obstacles is the restraint of educational policy and funding. Education is essential to our being. Your innate "self" develops over time, as we learned in our freshman year course on Identity, and the development of your self depends on the community of which you are a part of, as we learned in our class on community.

I grew up in a small rural town in upstate NY. It was a wonderful place to grow up. I had a peaceful childhood filled with trees, fireflies, and an overall absense of anything fearful. But unfortunately, I did not take a single class on creative writing until I came to Champlain. I chose the major based on a life long gut feeling that my "hobby" of writing would always stick around. The only encouragement that I ever really received was from my fourth grade teacher, and then briefly from my senior teacher when we did a two week interval of poetry. That was all we really had time for. The school had to comply with regents regulations. The budget just wasn't enough to cover the implementation of more creativity, while also having enough left over to rebuild the football field.

There are low income schools all over the country, both in rural and urban areas, that are full of students who are craving a creative outlet. I think that it is important to personal development for children to be encouraged to take hold of their talents and be proud of what they can do with them. There are only certain talents that are nurtured in most schools, and this makes an impression on the youth. It is more impressive for a third grader to master the memorization of his times tables than it is for him to write a poem about flowers. This effects the view of the entire classroom, and can cause creative children to introvert in order to avoid scrutiny and maintain a sense of belonging. Artistic talents should not be viewed as futile to the future of a child. It is a human right, in my opinion, to be accepted as who you are, and to have the your talents appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Clara!

    First off, I have to start off by saying that of all the posts I've looked at, you seem to have the best handle on what you want to do with your Capstone, and how you're going to implement Core. So, congrats on that!

    I agree with what you're saying above, and it sounds like a wonderful, and necessary, idea. The question that I think you could consider right now would be, how can you bring in more general things that we learned in Core in addition to the specific information from Human Rights and Concepts of the Self? What I've gathered from this assignment is that we are being asked to bring in what we learned IN GENERAL over our four years, so I think it would be a worthy exercise for you to start thinking about that and how that can help you with this Capstone.

    Other than that, really stellar job and I look forward to seeing what you end up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Trish, you've done a great job so far looking at connections with core. I think you also might be able to relate your project to Concepts of Community, as well. After all, you are really focusing on communities. Be it regional or academic, understanding these different identities will really help what you're doing.

    I'm excited to see what you come up with! This looks great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Trish and Julia--you are really on a great track here, because you have a valid and worthy idea that you seem inspired by and passionate about. When you think about where you got this idea, or as you reflect on why it might actually be important, you note connections to themes that came up during the Core--self-identity, community, human rights, empowerment, maybe even expression (aesthetics) of those things that we hold dear or "sacred," and cultural views in terms of ranking and/or valuing science, math and technology over other forms of intellectual endeavors.

    I have the feeling that if you implemented this idea, even in pilot form, the rewards and transformations that mights occur among your "workshop-ees" would reveal further connections. I know it sounds totally hokey, but what I learn from students teaches me more everyday about the world, my own values, and what really matters than any structured curriculum ever could!

    Now, I am curious to hear more about the details of this potential project . . .

    ReplyDelete